Friday, December 9, 2011

Reindeer Anyone?

So several weeks back my sister was told about these deer that people had been raising, basically out in the middle of no where. First of all, I live in eastern Washington, and for those who don't know, well, there really isn't much out here. Sure, Washington is called the evergreen state, but that is no reference to the eastern half of the state. It's most desert, or farming fields. And though it's not extremely flat like other parts of the US, it's not rolling in mountains either. Unless you're referencing the mountain range that runs through the middle of the state. Ok, enough geography.

So we drove out a country road that has fields on both sides. It was probably about a 15-20 minute drive, and found what we were looking for.


We weren't told what type of deer they were until afterwards. Then when my sister inquired more about them, she was told it was a type of Reindeer or Reindeer cross. There was an extremely high fence to keep them in...maybe 10 feet?


There were a lot of them, and they all came running to the fence, when we pulled out the bread to share.


From what we could see there were about 2 bucks, and I think we were told about 60 deer total out there!


It was extremely impressive seeing these animals up close. They were leary of us, and only came as close to the fence as possible to get the bread that my nephews dropped really close to the fence.


And when they all started to run towards the area of the fence we were standing at, they started talking to each other! I guess maybe about the bread. I had never heard a deer noise before, and it was the strangest sound. While I didn't record the noise, I found a YouTube video that shows it, if you have never heard it before.





While I haven't written yet to my Compassion kids to tell them, I plan to soon, and share the photos also :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...