Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Operation Christmas Child

Operation Christmas Child is something I look forward to every year. I love packing boxes for children in need all over the world.

This year we had an area representative drop off brochures and information at our church. This was a first, and many of the kids and teens were quite interested. So as I shopped for supplies I decided I would have the children and youth pack the boxes this year.

The youth do have a child through Compassion they regularly correspond with, so they do have some experience and knowledge of poverty. So we discussed our mandate as Christians and talked about the story from James 2:14-19 and how our deeds are tangible  faith.

"A brother or sister in Christ might need clothes or food. If you say to that person, “God be with you! I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat,” but you do not give what that person needs, your words are worth nothing."

Some of them were able to bring in items for the boxes, and were very proud to be a part. My goal was 8 boxes, and we ended up with 10 I get to drop off this week. 

I have a very diverse group of kids and teens, ranging from young to some with disabilities. Everyone wanted to help! Especially the kindergarten/preschool class. It was a bit chaotic, but I definitely will know how to better organize next year.

I think it was a lesson well learned, especially when one of the teens had to explain to a 5 year old boy why he couldn't take the box home for himself.


Here's the older kids with the boxes!


"Direct your children onto the right path,

and when they are older, they will not leave it."
Proverbs 22:6
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...