Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It Was Worth It

Yesterday I worked a long day. I worked my normal shift of 6am-2pm, but then cover most of the next shift since the other gal was sick, or possibly her husband who's suffering with cancer. No big deal, yes a long day, but the evenings are so much more layed back than the mornings tend to be. And I only had to work till 8pm or 8:30.

I have to so I'm so much more greatful and have greater respect for some of the residents I work with after last night. One lady in particular taught me a lot.

I previously hadn't had much opportunity to get to know her. She isn't one who comes out often, and doesn't really participate in activities. So unlike most of my residents, I don't get as many opportunities for small conversations.

Generally I don't assist with showers, as most who need assistance shower in the evening, but since I was filling in for the other aid, it was my turn to help. I wasn't sure how either of the two were going to feeling, having someone different helping them. But neither seemed to mind.

The second shower though, did take a bit longer, and gave me opportunity to learn more about a neat lady. She shared with me some of her health struggles over the past few years, most of which we a bit of unusual health issues, so it gave me a great opportunity to gain more knowledge.

She also shared about her husband, and the kind of man he was. How he was a man everyone loved, and when he was working in schools, all anyone had to do was follow the laughter as he was a man who never ran out of jokes.

And when she was almost through she glanced at the clock to apologize for keeping me longer. I told her it was no problem, I had plenty of time. As this was such a uniquic opportunity to really didn't want her to feel rushed.

She was truly grateful, but last night and today again. And I love the fact I was given an opportunity to connect with another of my residents and to really help make a difference in their lives. That's what my job is all about.

And that's the heart of Christ.

I don't know who said this quote, but it is one of my favorites. "Be the change YOU want to see in the world."

What an amazing long night!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...